Friday, December 3, 2010

Celestron 21062 AstroMaster 70 EQ Refractor Telescope





An Exceptional Telescope for $108.56

An Excellent Buy And
Quality Pricing Too

   Lets not be fooled by the cost of this telescope.  It is a Celestron and comes with very high approval ratings.  It is a five star rated product at Amazon, with most buyers being very happy with the purchase.
  
As a beginner in 1966, my first telescope was a 3" Refractor and it gave many hours of enjoyment.  This enjoyment was in learning and spending time with family members.
  
If you are looking for a very reasonably priced telescope, you cannot go wrong in purchasing this scope.  There is a 58% savings.
   
Additional purchases should be made by a beginner.  Amazon recommends: Small Telescope and How to Find Them.  I recomend you also buy a good Star Chart.  These additional items would bring the total cost to about $150.00

Click  to read article on refractor telescopes and how they function

Click read more below left to see reviews.


 
Review by:  SaM4842 (USA) (Five Stars)

At first I was skeptical about the quality of this telescope because of it's price range, but once I received it, I was pleasantly surprised.

The build quality is quite good. The tripod is very sturdy and the equatorial mount is well constructed. If I am not mistaken, some of the more expensive Celestron telescopes use this same tripod and mount. This package comes with a software that helps you locate stars and planets, so as long as you set the telescope to the north correctly, trying to locate stars is not a problem.

One thing I wished I had paid more attention to is the dimensions of the whole telescope kit. It is much larger than I anticipated; my reasoning was: it is a kid's telescope, it is probably not full sized. Not so!

Most telescope books I read said you cannot get a decent telescope for under $300, but for the beginner, the price and quality of this telescope is a great buy.


Review by: C.Vitalos  (Four Stars)I bought this telescope for my 7 year old daughter's birthday. She was absolutely delighted when she and I viewed Jupiter and its moons, and Venus.

This telescope provides stunning views of the Moon. You can also see "naked eye" planets e.g. Venus, Jupiter, however, they are a bit small. If you want to see them in greater detail I would suggest purchasing a telescope with a higher magnification rating.

The equatorial mount is worth the additional money over the altazimuth mount (Astromaster 70 AZ) in my opinion. The ability to track objects with one slight turn of a nob (after you accurately align the scope to Polaris) with the equatorial mount is much more convenient. Also, this mount is a "must have" if you plan to get the optional tracking motor and intend to take pictures with the optional camera mount.


Actual views using this scope:

The Moon


Our Moon Again



The Planet Saturn



1 comment:

  1. I got the Astromaster 70EQ for Christmas. How were you able to get that closer shot of the moon (the one labeled "Our Moon Again")?

    ReplyDelete